History of Ju Mohor Monastery
Ju Mohor is situated in Junyong, in the upper reaches of the Dzachuka Valley in Sershul County on the eastern Tibetan Plateau, the former Tibetan province of Kham.
Close by is Shechen and Dzogchen Monasteries which were major centres of the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism.
It was founded in around 1650 by the First Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche, Pema Tsengnyak Tenzin. He was a student of the renowned Rigdzin Jigme Lingpa, who received the mind treasure of the Dzogchen Longchen Nyingtik during retreat at the Chimpu Caves, near Samye.
The Third Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche, On Lama Pema Targye, was the paternal uncle of Ju Mipham Rinpoche. As his first teacher, he gave him the name Mipham Jamyang Namgyal Gyamtso as well as the transmission of many teachings.
Ju Mipham Rinpoche writes of Ju Mohor in a poem passed down by oral tradition to the present Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche:
It is the dwelling place of flocks of wild geese, of wise saints, and a Dharma place of Tantric teachings and practice, the supreme source of spiritual attainment.
In the centre of the sacred mandala of Mohor is the celestial palace, the land of the dakinis ,which is filled with teachings, bearing natural signs of the Body, Speech and Mind of the Buddhas, and accomplished spiritual adepts. In front it is like a yogi meditating in the lotus position.
To the right is the heart-like spherical shaped mountain, the dwelling place of male protectors and their offerings, the blazing triangular ritual cakes and thirst quenching drinks, protected by the union of male and female energies, complete with secret natural beauty.
To the left, a mountain of triangular shape, like ritual offerings, is the dwelling place of the female protector, the dakini Dudrul Wangmo. This human heart-shaped mountain is the life force and treasure trove of Tibet's protectors. In front and empowering it, is the turquoise mirror of the gently flowing Dzachu River
The glittering small stars, the meetings of white lights and mother sheep, where wondrous mole like earth is placed, are the mystical doorkeepers and Four Guardians
This auspicious place is the meeting place of great masters, the story of the unbroken coming of knowledge holders which has not yet been told.
It was also during the time of the Third Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche that Patrul Rinpoche gave teachings at the monastery, as well as spending time there on retreat.
The Fourth Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche's bodhisattva commitments to spread the dharma were interrupted by the Chinese invasion of Kham. Through his omniscient mind he was able to foretell his own death at a young age in the violent nature of religious suppression that would accompany the invasion. To protect the life of his spiritual consort, he sent her away from him, to marry another.
This was followed by destruction of the monastery between 1959 and 1970. It has since been rebuilt but is in urgent need of further restoration to ensure it's survival for generations to come.
After the death of the fourth Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche, the monastery was under the protection of the third Ju Mipham Rinpoche. He remained until the enthronement of the fifth (present) Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche in 1993.
HH Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche, and the great Dzogchen master, HH Lama Achuk Rinpoche have asked the Fifth Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche to honour Ju Mohor Monastery's profound heritage, and restore it to its former glory as a place of learning, scholarship and meditation.
Currently, due to Chinese restrictions, there are 120 monks and 23 nuns. All are undergoing intensive shedra (study college) training in Buddhist philosophy, both at Ju Mohor Monastery, and at Khenpo Achuk Rinpoche's monastery, as well as undertaking meditation retreats.
While Amnyi Trulchung Rinpoche is in the west, Ju Mohor Monastery is under the guidance of Ju Gongtrul Rinpoche.